Our curriculum follows the following principles:
1. All students are entitled to powerful knowledge in all subjects and this is at the heart of our curriculum. We believe all students are capable of acquiring and applying this powerful knowledge.
2. Broad and deep powerful knowledge is a prerequisite for skills such as critical thinking, evaluation and analysis.
3. The powerful knowledge we want students to acquire is carefully selected. Mastery of this knowledge will ensure success in examinations and a lifelong interest in the subject.
4. Our curriculum is expertly sequenced so that students can build new knowledge onto the prior knowledge. This will allow students to develop powerful subject specific schema.
5. Our curriculum is broad and balanced. Students study as many subjects for as long as possible and are offered a broad range of subjects to choose from at KS4.
6. Our curriculum is a ‘live’ document it is discussed, evaluated and modified regularly according to the needs of our students and the changing dynamics of the subjects that we teach.
7. Our curriculum promotes a love of reading and closes the vocabulary gap.
8. We have a rigorous character education offer which is open to all students.
KS3 focuses on giving every child the widest experience possible across the arts, languages, humanities and technical subjects whilst maintaining a strong focus on the core subjects of English, Mathematics, Science, RE and PE. In addition to this, we have a timetabled choir lesson for all students.
In Key Stage 4 the curriculum is a mixture of both core and optional subjects and is structured to allow for maximum flexibility of choice. There is a wide variety of courses which allow students to study the Arts, Humanities, Languages, Health and Social Care, Sport and much more.