Our curriculum is guided by the following principles:
- All students are entitled to powerful knowledge in all subjects and this is at the heart of our curriculum.
- Our curriculum is coherent and expertly sequenced. This means that new knowledge and skills is built upon previous knowledge and skills so that students build rich, subject-specific schemata.
- Our curriculum is broad and balanced and meets the needs of all learners. Our curriculum allows students to study a wide range of subjects for as long a possible, whilst also allowing them to securely grasp the key concepts in the Ebacc subjects.
- Our curriculum is a ‘live’ document it is discussed, evaluated and modified regularly according to the needs of our students and the changing dynamics of the subjects that we teach
- Our curriculum promotes a love of and fluency in reading and writing. A fluency in reading and writing is vital for students to be able to access the world around them.
- Our curriculum includes an extensive character offer. Which includes a comprehensive co-curricular program and excellent careers provision.
Our curriculum at Key Stage 3 focuses on giving every child the widest experience possible across the arts, languages, humanities and technical subjects whilst maintaining a strong focus on the core subjects of English, mathematics, science, RE and PE.
The Key Stage 4 curriculum and options process
At Key Stage 4 the curriculum combines both core and optional subjects and is structured to allow for maximum flexibility of choice. Students will choose their options in year 9, this gives the students time to experience all subjects and make an informed decision.
All students will be required to study English language, English literature, mathematics and combined science. Students are also required to study one of geography, history, French or Spanish.
Students will then be able to choose from a wide range of GCSE and vocational subjects, as a school we make every effort to ensure all students get the options that they desire.
The following subjects are offered as option subjects at Key Stage 4 as a GCSE or equivalent.
- Triple Science (separate GCSEs in biology, chemistry and physics)
- Religious Studies
- Health & Social Care
- Sport Science
- Performing Arts
- Music practice
- Hospitality & Catering
- Design Technology
- Digital Information Technology
Students will also continue to complete core PE lessons, PSHE and computing that will not be examined.
Curriculum Maps are below for individual departments.
For more information about our curriculum, please contact email@example.com